- What are City Hall's hours?
Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m. & Closed between 1:00-2:00 p.m. daily.
- Where can I find HW on Cable TV?
Channel 10 on WOW and Channel 59 on Comcast.
- When was the City incorporated?
1926 as a Village and 1932 as a City.
- How many homes are in the City?
- How many square miles is Huntington Woods?
Approximate 1.65 miles
- How many miles of roadway are in the City?
- Does the Library offer free Wi-Fi?
Yes, the Library does have free Wi-Fi.
- Are there computers with Internet access for public us?
The library does have computers with Internet access available free to the public with a valid library card.
- Where is the Woods Gallery located?
The Woods Gallery is located in the lower level of the Library.
What are the hours of operation for power equipment or lawn service?
Power equipment (large power tools, construction equipment) and lawn service hours are operation are limited to the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., Monday-Saturday. Please note the lawn service companies must obtain a permit at City Hall. Click on the noise ordinance for more information.
Department of Public Works
- When is recycling, yard waste and trash collection delayed?
Recycling-yard waste-trash collection are delayed after the following holidays if the holiday falls on a Monday or Tuesday: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day or Christmas. No Delay for chipping, recycling, yard waste and landfill items for any other legal holiday.*
- When is yard waste season? Yard Waste Collection begins the first full week of April and ends the third week of December.
- What if I run out of space in my recycling cart? What if I need more recycling space for a party or clean out project?
DPW has larger or additional recycling carts available for those that need them. In addition, DPW will lend you carts for special events at your home or if you are cleaning up or doing a special project.
- When does chipping start and stop? How do I get rid of my Christmas tree?
Chipping continues throughout the year on Mondays. Christmas trees are chipped on Mondays along with other chipping. Be sure all ornaments and tinsel are removed. Remove any tarp or cloth and the stand.
- If my water is off because of a water main break, when will my water be turned back on?
DPW crews try to get the water back on after repairing a water main break as quickly as possible. Each situation is different so it is impossible to predict the exact time it will take. Be assured that DPW will stay on the job until the water is back on. When your water comes back on, first run the cold water at your laundry tub to clear the system of any discoloration from your pipes.
- I am having a plumber change the valve on the city side of my water meter, how can I get the water turned off?
If you would like DPW to turn the water off at the curb, call DPW at least one business day in advance. DPW will verify that we can turn your water off at the curb. We will then make arrangements with you to turn the water off so your plumber can make the necessary repairs. We will then come and turn your water back on. Often when we do this, we take the opportunity to replace your old water meter with a new one.
- I got a door hanger telling me DPW could not read my meter. What does that mean and what happens next time?
This happens normally when the magnet in your old meter stops working. You will need to contact DPW for an appointment Monday-Friday between 7:45 a.m.-2:30 p.m. A DPW employee will come to your house and replace the meter with a new one. You must be sure that the area is clear so that the DPW worker can access your meter.
- I think there is something wrong with my city tree, the one between the sidewalk and the street, what should I do?
Contact DPW and someone will come out and look at your tree. If there is a problem, the tree may be placed on a trim, watch or removal list. Except in extreme emergences, tree work is done when there is a sufficient amount or work and funds are available.
- I had a tree removed, when will I have another tree planted?
The City keeps careful track of all tree removals. It is the City's policy to replace a tree that has been removed, if possible. At this time the locations for new trees out number the funds to buy and plant them. The City tries to prioritize planting based on when the tree was removed as well as the presence or absence of other trees.
- What if I don't want to plant a tree or have a dead tree removed?
Check the City Resident Tree Planting Policy and the Resident Tree Removal Policy.
- What do I do if there is water backing up into my basement?
Call a plumber to clear out your lines from inside your house in the City's main line. Call DPW so we can check your lines as well. In general, if it is the City's line, more than one house may be backing up. Remember, water in the streets, slowly draining into the sewer system, means fewer chances of water backing up into your basement.
- What can be put into the DPW dumpster? What goes in the metal dumpster?
The DPW dumpster is for city trash only. If you have a question about ways to dispose of items, call or email DPW. Any items that is at least 50% metal can be put into the metal dumpster. If heavy or awkward, put the item on the ground and DPW will handle them.